I know you are familiar with many pizza recipes, but do you have an idea about what St Louis Style Pizza could be? Would it not be right if an informed pizza expert like me taking you on board to discover everything about St Louis yummy Pizza? Well, you got it right here.
St Louis Style Pizza is a cracker-like crust cut into rectangles or squares of wedges that are made with Provel processed cheese and yeast. It is thin, distinct, and common in the city of St. Louis and its environs in Missouri. This pizza is available in local chains, restaurants, and supermarkets.
This delicious pie, also called Imo, is suitable for your daily need for a sweet pizza recipe. Besides, it is made in, by, and for America. Read on to discover more on the ingredients of this pizza, how to make it, and why it is good for your health.
Why is St Louis Style Pizza Good for You?
You probably have heard folks dismissing products for their lack of knowledge. It should never be so when it comes to your lovely pie. St Louis-style pizza is suitable for you and your family.
A healthy pie is all you need, and Imo pizzas afford you the luxury to incorporate all you require for a balanced diet. Yes, St Louis pizza is the deal for you, and here is why:
- It is low in calories. The Imo is made of a very thin crust and little sugar. This starchy load is fair enough not to raise serious concerns about your calorie uptake. You are healthier with a St Louis pie.
- The toppings of Imo are rich in proteins, vitamins, and minerals. Your overall health is well taken care of by St Louis pizza.
- St Louis Pizza oozes with your lovely cheese. Cheese is rich in vitamin B12, protein, and calcium that your body needs for a healthy bone and muscle density.
- Imo is a crunchy and flavorful pie. Isn’t this quality what folks look for in a pizza?
- St Louis pizza is heavy with lots of bacon! Bacon is rich in fiber and proteins, which are healthy for your digestive system, building and repairing your body tissues.
- Easy to make at home. St Louis pizza is your homemade dessert whose cost is manageable.
- It is easily available. Imo is quick to find in restaurants and food stores near you.
- Imo puts you in the driver’s seat. For lovers of honey and vinegar, st Louis pizza is the place you take charge and treat yourself.
Which Ingredients are used to Make St. Louis Pizza?
Your Pizza is as healthy and yummy as the quality of its ingredients. To give you a clear picture of what you may need to make St Louis pizza in your restaurant or home, I give you a list of ingredients enough to make this pie for twelve people. You will need a large mixing bowl to blend your ingredients.
To prepare your crust, you require the following:
- Two cups of all-purpose flour. You can go for whole-grain flour if you so wish.
- Two tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
- Two teaspoons of olive oil
- One teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt.
- 21/2 tablespoons of water
- Two spoons of dark corn syrup
To prepare your St Louis pizza sauce, you need the following:
- Six ounces of tomato paste
- 16 ounces of tomatoes cut into fine pieces.
- One teaspoon of ground basil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of thyme
- ½ teaspoon of salt
To make your Cheese, you need to blend the following:
- ½ cup of shredded provolone cheese
- One cup of shredded white cheddar cheese
- One teaspoon of liquid hickory and liquid smoke
- ½ cup of shredded Swiss cheese
For your Italian Seasoning, get this combo:
- Two teaspoons of basil
- Two teaspoons of oregano
- One teaspoon of thyme
How Do You Make the St Louis Pizza?
While folks enjoy an ordered Imo pie, you can chart your own path by treating yourself to a homemade St Louis pizza. The good news is you can bake it! You don’t have to pack and travel to Missouri for your Imo pie.
Aren’t you ready to try your hand in putting the ingredients listed above together and make your Imo pizza? Bring St Louis to where you may be in the world. Right, here is your simple and elaborate procedure for making your St Louis Pie.
The crust is your basic element in baking the Imo. Unlike in other pizza brands, you need a relatively small dough to make this pie. Your ingredients for the crust are enough to make two twelve-inch pies of pizza. Here is what you should do:
- Thoroughly mix the ingredients until they are consistent.
- Divide the dough into two portions.
- Shape each portion into a round ball.
- Roll each ball into paper-thin density.
- To move your crusts, use a pizza peel.
- Sprinkle your pizza peel with corn flour to avoid sticking.
For the sauce, your top choice is the tomato brand. It is cheap and easy to make at home, and tomatoes are available, whether fresh or canned.
Once your crust is ready, your tomato sauce mixture should follow. These ingredients are enough to make 4 twelve-inch pizzas. So, you should use the only ¼ of the sauce on one crust. Though your sauce will be sweet, its spices and tomato flavor will be distinct.
To make your St Louis pizza sauce:
- Blend your ingredients together.
- Do not pre-cook your sauce.
- Divide it into 4 portions and use one portion for each crust.
Your St. Louis style pizza prides itself on the unique quality of Provel cheese, which is a blend of provolone, cheddar, and Swiss coupled with liquid smoke flavor. This type of cheese melts at a low temperature. You can simply create your provel when you can’t find it in your local store.
To make your cheese, toss until the smoke flavorings, and the cheeses are finely blended. Your ingredients are enough for your 2 pizza pies. When in need of more cheese, adjust the ingredients proportionately.
Get Your Toppings Ready
Your St Louis style pizza deserves some authentic edge-to-edge toppings. Your options are limitless, but these toppings are associated with this type of pizza, and they make it tick. They are tomatoes, extra cheese, sausage, onion, banana peppers, pepperoni, green pepper, pineapple, black olive, hamburger, bacon, anchovy, jalapenos, Canadian bacon, and mushroom.
At home, you can precook the meat before you assemble your pizza, but in a professional pizza oven, you put the meaty toppings when raw. You can as well use your precooked refrigerated meats for this pie.
With your crust, smoky cheese, sweet sauce, and generous toppings ready, it is high time to sprinkle it with your Italian seasonings. In your small mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and blend well. Now, you got it right!
It is critical for you to consider the end-users of your pie since not everyone enjoys seasonings. You don’t need to leave any of your loved ones out of the party. Do you?
St Louis style pizza is baked on a pizza pan in the restaurant, but a pizza stone with an oven temperature of 450 degrees will give the best outcome at home. Your pizza is cooked when its crust turns dark golden brown on the underside. Your cheese should turn to a mild golden tint.
While over baking turns your crust to a tough, hard, and burnt-tasting crust, under baking will yield a limp crust. You may need some experimentation before you produce your desired crisp crust.
The type and the number of toppings you apply determine your total baking time. After about 10-12 minutes, check your pie and moderate your baking time from then, respectively.
Your pizza is now ready and how you present it on the table is as important as its pudding. Cut your pizza into squares and not the usual triangle slices. This slicing tradition of the St Louis pizza is a signature quality of your pie.
Your evening is now happier for having some unique pie to share at home. Why not give it a try, either as homemade or an ordered desert.
Well, you now know what the St Louis style pizza is, the ingredients needed for making your pie, the procedure to make one, and essentially its value to you. Why should you be conservative and traditional in consuming your yummy pie? Try out on the Imo and reap the irresistible benefits promised by this new meal that America is increasingly falling in love with every day.
For questions and comments, feel free to contact us on all our customer service lines. Your feedback and additional content are highly welcome.
Barbara is an enthusiastic food-exploring person that goes through different culinary experiences. She got inspired by creating a pizza blog post after she tasted one of the best-selling pizzas in Toledo.
2 thoughts on “What is St Louis Style Pizza?”
Pizza without garlic? I’D rather slit my wrists.
While garlic is a beloved ingredient in many styles of pizza, it’s not a defining characteristic of St. Louis-style pizza. St. Louis-style pizza is known for its thin, crispy crust, square shape, and use of Provel cheese, a processed blend of cheddar, Swiss, and provolone. While some variations of St. Louis-style pizza may include garlic, it’s not a requirement. So fear not, if you’re trying St. Louis-style pizza for the first time and don’t see garlic on the menu, you can still enjoy a delicious slice without risking your wrists!